Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fishing lunch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:24 am    Post subject: Fishing lunch Reply with quote

Stevo likes leftover pizza

I'm not really in a rut, but more of a tradition.
I always take out Beach Cliff Fish Steaks (pickled herring) in Louisiana Hot Sauce to eat on crackers - and handle with your knife.
Been eating it since college, introduced to it by a buddy from Myrtle Beach.
A decade later ('80s), my guide buddy Tim reminded me about it, because it was his fishing lunch. When you pop the can, always pour the oil in the water - it attracts redfish,
so throw out some cut-bait with your lunch.
(Come to think of it, Tim met his bride at Myrtle Beach)

Don't confuse this with sardines - this is firm meat without the sickly sweet.
Used to buy them at HEB for $0.25/can, but can't find them now, so I mail order by two-dozen tins, and have to go fishing to finish them up.

And of course wash it down with a good brew - liquid bread after a long paddle.
Corpus-brewed Ephyra is a great IPA that duplicates Sculpin Aloha.
bd0202
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the Ephya and 'za. But for canned fish, I prefer tuna packets. I'll also eat smoked herring, but I have to hold my nose and close my eyes when I do it. Laughing Which is weird because I'm obsessed with sushi. You can keep your Clif bar and saltines; I'll take some Ritz. Razz

Anyway, you mentioned Sculpin Aloha in comparison to Ephyra on the other thread...made by Ballast Point. Did my research, no one has it in town, not even liquor stores. Where do you get yours?

Either way, this looks like a fun day fishing, catching or not. Reminds me of when I used to go to the "secret lakes" in San Antonio with my grandad and fish for bass and cats all day. They've all been turned into neighborhoods now. Crying or Very sad
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEB has a few beer snobs working for them - each wine/beer dept has a manager - and if you find them, they'll hunt down whatever you want.
The guy on the Blanco store in SA out-stocks liquor stores, and that's the only place in town I can find the Corpus brews.

An AP fishing shack I frequent, and my buddy Mark from AZ drinking a Sculpin Aloha after a morning's paddle. He claimed to absolutely hate IPAs, but loved this brew.

Stevo home-brews Pliny the Elder from Russian River Brewery kits.
He kegs 5-gallon batches in soda cans.
And many other brews - he tailgates at a couple of NASCARs and Reno Air Races. His portable keg cooler is insulated to keep ice for a week.
He's also brought growlers of home-brew to the flats before.

bd, you might like this - Steve and our friend Randy are so religious about Reno Air Races, in addition to food and beer, they do pit work for their team, and Randy's name is written on the crew list on John Sharp's Nemesis, which was inducted in the Smithsonian Air & Space museum last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Kayaking Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: