Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Frying and health

View previous topic :: View next topic  
landlocked beachbum
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:32 am    Post subject: Frying and health Reply with quote

A recent post about bypass surgery and another's reply encouraged me to add this. I have done a LOT of reading on the subject! My dad dropped dead at 57 while walking into the Houston Heart center. He was saved with the paddles, but wound up having bypass surgery a few years later, then stints, lots of ER visits for heart issues, etc. Wound up with diabetes, then Alzheimer's, died on Christmas eve 2014. He was also an ANAL former Marine with a take no prisoners personality!

He wasn't fat, but did NOTHING physical, ate whatever he chose when he chose. I just turned 63, and had one scary bout of arhythmia a couple of years ago that lasted 4 hours, after drinking WAY too much one night......... The old heart rhythm is still not super steady, but I do lots of steep hiking, bow hunting, etc. I have also had 3 bouts of diverticulitis in the last 12 months, and after the damn antibiotics and CT scans on the first two, I wanted NO PART of that crap anymore if possible!!! Shocked

So, back to the research. The relatively new concept by many MD types who think out of the med school box is that chronic inflammation is the cause of most disease, and "itis" means inflammation. Thru lots of reading I came to realize that frying foods in and of itself isn't anywhere near as bad as letting the oil get too hot, for too long, and reusing the oil time and again. This leads the rancidity, whether it tastes or smells that way or not! Rancid oils are HIGHLY INFLAMMATORY to the gut, and the gut is the backbone of our whole immune system! I went the holistic route and got ahead of my diverticulitis, for now, and have cut WAY BACK on fried foods, as that along with alcohol, caffeine, and sugar are at the top of the list for causing inflammation in the body

Fried fish is my A1, always prefered food over anything else on the planet, but that last bout of diverticulitis came on after a three day stint of fried suppers: fish, chicken, then fish again. Mind you, this was with NEW OIL!!! Shocked
I LOVE my fried fish, but want no part of diverticulitis, EVER AGAIN if I can help it, so eating things fried has dropped WAY down the list of what's most important in life. After all, when we have our health, we are wealthy in the extreme, no matter our financial situation! Wink All the money in the world won't bring you back when you're dead, or improve your quality of life once it passes a certain point. Backing way off the things mentioned and getting plenty of strenuous exercise are also super for the old ticker!

On that note, here's a great read on oils and frying:
http://english.manoramaonline.com/wellness/health/everyday-health-truth-cooking-oil-effects-good-bad.html

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein

Last edited by landlocked beachbum on Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
shallowsport

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMS is not going to like this. That said he is a wise and prudent man and will certainly do what is best for him. I to love fried food but also love to have my meat, fish, etc, grilled.
Thank you for all the research that you have done. The information is helpful. Many of us, on this board, suffer from O.A.S. (Old Age Syndrome) and the multitude of complications that come with it. Again, thank you.
landlocked beachbum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, thank YOU sir for the acknowledgement! As I said, it comes as a byproduct of my reasrch into diverticulitis, but chronic inflammation causes health issues EVEYWHERE!!! Shocked

Here's a little more good info on the subject:
https://draxe.com/inflammation-at-the-root-of-most-diseases/

The internet has it's bad side, but this type of thing; being your own best advocate, is where it really shines, IMHO. Most of the American medical world is still stuck in the dark ages of their Medical School education, my doc included, so we all must do our own research to find what's actually the latest thinking on this topic and most others. Wink

By the way: what is the entry level age for OAS? Shocked My mom's dad died when he was only 57, but he looked like he was 85. No exercise, period, terrible diet, and worked at a plant in north Corpus Christi..... with that lovely refinery air, and drank like a fish after work!

When I was little, most people in their late 50's to mid 60's looked like people 20 years older these days, and it's not just looking thru a kid's eyes back then. I'm speaking of being fat, pasty and having grey or white hair.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has it's limits". Albert Einstein
Vern
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: I Know this is an old post but. Reply with quote

I think landlocked is my age so I want to just throw something additional out there.... age is relevant because you need to be old enough to remember the commercial.
While I know this is not scientific research but it has to do with the actual amount of oil absorbed during cooking.

Does any one remember the old Crisco Commercials for both oil and grease?
They showed the cup full... cooked a whole battered chicken and then poured it back into the cup and said see its all still there except 2 tablespoon fulls.
If that was correct and accurate I would tend to say that IF properly heated and cooked and so forth 2 tablespoons ++ isnt bad at all and would seem not to introduce that much oil in the the actual eating process.
Though as I understand it a lot depends on proper original meat temp, batter quality and proper OIL TEMP at time of and during cooking.

Just a thought...
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing in excess. Oh and on the diverticulitis my late dad had it real bad but a doctor on the island cured him. He told him to drink metamucil before lunch and dinner and he never had a bout with it the remainder of his life.
BayFly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As my Dad always said, "moderation is the key to life"! My Dad died of a massive heart attack while sitting on a deer stand in Llano, Texas at about 7AM, after having a four bypass heart operation about five years earlier. He was not an excessive eater and had a decent diet without much fried foods, but I attribute his early death at the age of 69, while apparently very strong and healthy(except the four by-pass operation) to the fact he smoked most of his life. Smoking makes the vessels contract, and when you have a compromised vessel system it obviously causes a problem in getting the blood where it needs to be. Everyone has to make their own decision how they want to live or die. It's really that simple. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: