Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chin Slinky Fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DawnPatrolVeteran
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Chin Slinky Fly Reply with quote

I just tied some Chin Slinky flies for Black Drum. What an easy fly to tie. Has anyone had any luck on them with these?
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

made me look it up.
I've caught black drum on Hi-tie, so the bucktail bendback thing may work great.
Years ago (ok, decades), when I designed a fly for black drum, what came to mind was a crab walking across the sand, holding up his defense claw - just like they behave on the beach - and I derived this epoxy crab from loosely spun bucktail.
(and note, it's been in my fly box that long)

It's kind of a booger to turn over epoxy on a long leader, but the fly works really well on bare sand passes and the bare sand perimiter along the mangroves lining a lake.
Black drum are hard to convince to take a fly, and it may take a half-dozen presentations to get their fickle commitment.
I've had both slot reds and Good Size black drum, see the fly, see me, turn away, shutter, run back and grab the fly.
DawnPatrolVeteran
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent crab fly! I have not ventured into the epoxy realm yet.
May take a while to get there as my job and domestic duties keep me from tying as much as I would like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: