Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

kicking shrimp salt fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:30 am    Post subject: kicking shrimp salt fly Reply with quote

For a decade when I began salt fly fishing, tried at my vise to imitate the action of a kicking shrimp. Aside from grabbing shrimp in the bait bucket, the idea came from fishing this Stazo rig on a bait rod.

A shrimp kicks with its tail, and slowly glides down, swimming with its legs.
The action of stripping a fly line naturally imitates the shrimp kick, but most fly patterns out there look like photos of static shrimp.
Some of my early attempts caught fish, but when I saw Ally's shrimp salmon fly, its use of pheasant crest for shrimp tail, rooster hackle for shape, and soft hackle for shell, everything clicked.
Instead of the symmetric salmon fly, I keeled my fly with bead chain, and put the two pheasant crest feathers on the same side of the hook.

The result is probably the silliest-looking fly ever, but with incredible kicking shrimp action. It works for generic crustacean thingy, and probably just as well for baitfish - it floats down like a spoon and is as crabby as it is shrimpy - again, I built this fly for action after a decade of trying different ideas for kicking shrimp.
The bead chain also clicks and whistles on the strip.

My kicking shrimp has become my go-to fly in the salt, and has caught everything from sheepshead on the flats to king mackerel in jetty blackwater.
Second cast of the morning to jumping shrimp in the back of Allyn's lake - first cast was a larger spec that tore the hook out on her second run.

it looks even stranger in the vise, but here's the recipe

Size 6 salt hook standard length (Tiemco 811S), shrimpy thread

Tail (shrimp antennae) twice the hook length - a few strands of krystal flash (pink is good) followed by a little bucktail

Eyes are pair of medium stainless bead-chain tied with figure 8 wraps on the outside of the hook

The body of the fly and the shrimp legs is a palmered rooster hackle (I have a barred ginger rooster cape)

Wing, the shrimp's tail, is a pair of stacked pheasant crest feathers

Collar is pheasant rump soft hackle - nothing looks more like shell in the water and it contains beautiful iridescent blue, red and green

Pheasant tail fibers have been used for trout flies forever, and fly shops used to give away the patch of pheasant rump that came along with the long tail feathers. Also, the whole pheasant skin without the long tail feathers, used to be available very cheaply, about $3. But now that people have figured out the large soft hackle has many uses, cost of a pheasant skin with crest is about $14.
http://store.hookhack.com/Ringneck-(#@(@#-Jumbo-Pheasant-Skin/productinfo/188RING/

DawnPatrolVeteran
Pony Mullet

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of a Concorde fly except where it has the red skunk or bucktail you have the flash and bucktail. The Concorde has the grizzle hackle at the bend you have pushed the collar further up the shank and you have added the eyes.

The Concorde is a freshwater lure with attributes taken from saltwater patterns.

I believe you just completed the circle on a very diverse fly.
Thank you for the recipe, I am anxious to try it. My experiments don't come out this great looking.
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks - this has been my go-to salt fly for 30 years - it flutters down like a spoon, perfectly imitates all-crustacean-food-thingy - there are really only two other salt flies I'll reach for, and then to imitate baitfish.
Oddly, it's caught kings at the jetties - an activity guaranteed to wear you out.

if you do get a pheasant skin, there are even better wing (shrimp tail) feathers at the base of the crest

similar action, here's my version of a nickel-sized crayfish, one of my 3 warmwater flies.
I named it Bull Creek crayfish for a 10-lb bass stalked for a couple of weeks and sight-fished in the Austin suburban Milwood drainage - met the landowner and fished it with permission before it became Spicewood Park.
2x-long size 10 streamer hook
claws are sili-legs with figure-8 wrap and cut to uneven length
large amber V-rib and dubbing-loop body.
This one came off my fly patch after a 30+fish morning on Cibolo Creek.

in the water, nothing looks more like shell than soft hackle
bulldog1935

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After finishing a gang of the kicking shrimp fly, I had 5 size 6 hooks left (would order some more),
but I finished those up on a gang of my dock-fishing whistlers.

this is a really simple fly with white marabou tail, sparkle chenille body, and shrimpy-colored chenille head.
The large bead chain seems to work best, maybe because under the lights it casts a profile like a swimming crab.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: