Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sous Vide Hotel Ribs Again!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:15 am    Post subject: Sous Vide Hotel Ribs Again! Reply with quote

I had these hotel ribs as they are called. A not so easy to find short rib cut available at Hacienda Meat Market on Port Avenue and at Staples Street market here in Corpus Christi, TX.

I sous vide ( fancy French term for soaked in a bag in hot water) these ribs for 48 hrs at 144 degrees. Short ribs are very tough and this makes them like pull apart brisket though it does take four days!. I then flash cooled off the bad in ice water, dried the bag off and put in the chest freezer for a couple of months.

I pulled them out, thawed them out in the fridge and cooked them yesterday. The beauty of the sous vide is that the meat is already cooked so all I had to do was finish them on the smoker for about an hour an 20 minutes at 225 to 250 degrees. I have tried a tad longer but they get dried out. These were perfect.

We use an Anova sous vide machine around 130 dollars.
rawlbay
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you put them in the freezer for a culinary reason, or just cuz you wanted to smoke them at some later time?
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rawlbay wrote:
Did you put them in the freezer for a culinary reason, or just cuz you wanted to smoke them at some later time?

I had sous vide three packages at the time so I reserved 5lbs for the freezer.
Central Scrutinizer
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll 1-up the Short Ribs recipe.

This past weekend, I dug out a pressure cooker pot that we have lugged around for 25+ years, and NEVER once used it. It was my Wife-Units Mom's, originally. Made in Wisconsin, WAYYYYYYY back in 1972.

Being totally frightened by pressure cooking, I decided to give it a try. I did a rack of spareribs in 20 minutes, and a slab of beef short ribs in 40 minutes. Both came out as good as I have ever made, and literally ever had,....... anywhere.

40 MINUTES!!!!! Start to finish. Call me a fan of the pressure cooker!

(For both, after the pressure cooker, I wrapped them in foil, smothered in BBQ sauce, and let them rest in a 170 degree slow cooker for about an hour. BRAVO!!! is all I can say).

The whole 12 hour, slave over the coals, slow method........ Overrated!! Laughing
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:

This past weekend, I dug out a pressure cooker pot that we have lugged around for 25+ years, and NEVER once used it. It was my Wife-Units Mom's, originally. Made in Wisconsin, WAYYYYYYY back in 1972.

Being totally frightened by pressure cooking, I decided to give it a try. I did a rack of spareribs in 20 minutes, and a slab of beef short ribs in 40 minutes. Both came out as good as I have ever made, and literally ever had,....... anywhere.

(For both, after the pressure cooker, I wrapped them in foil, smothered in BBQ sauce, and let them rest in a 170 degree slow cooker for about an hour. BRAVO!!! is all I can say).

Ha ha I have a pressure cooker too! If they only had a smoke feature I would be with you on that!

The whole 12 hour, slave over the coals, slow method........ Overrated!! Laughing

Now if you could just add some smoke I'd be with you. I love our pressure cooker. Beans from dry beans in an hour.

Last edited by Tyler on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central Scrutinizer wrote:

Thats interesting! My buddys do some amazing canning with a pressure cooker/canner. Can yellowfin tuna and deer and hog meat and all of it is realy great but i don't think they ever cook with them.

I got one for Christmas but due to Harvey havent used it yet. Living in a small garage apartment with a grill, toaster oven, and microwave so no experimenting right now. Another month or two and i will give this a try!

The sous vide cooking sounds good too but thats a lot of time to have to pay attention to something, even if it is just sitting there.
john's addicted
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short ribs are a favorite of mine, too. Here's my method... cut those racks in half. Then salt and pepper and on to the smoker for 3 or 4 hours. Then into a big pan(or dutch oven) along with mirepoix and a whole bottle of cabernet. Cook at 300 another 3 hours and then make a sauce from the liquid left over. Dang! I used to just sear and then braise, but that smoke flavor is the ticket
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: