Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi! Newbie here

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject: Hi! Newbie here Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am Jim and I am new here and fly fishing is new to me. I've been fishing several times already with my friends and I believe that's something I'd like to do in future. Now, i was wondering, whether it is a good idea to buy a complete starter kit and then perhaps add some things I need. Or it is better to pick everything separately paying attention at the brand, specs, etc.? I was looking at these 2 kits thinking that they may be a good thing to start with:
Wright & McGill
Piscifun New Fly Fishing Rod Reel Combo Fly Fishing $100
Which kit you think is better? Maybe any other recommendations? Or it's still better to pick everything separately? Any comments/opinions are appreciated!
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a 5/6-wt combo is a good river and lake rod, and a good weight to learn on, but a bit on the lightweight side for facing coast wind (works on a calm day).
it would be a good rod to take to the ponds for winter put-and-take trout, a good panfish rod, and a good rod to take to the Guadalupe tailwater.

I began Many years ago with a $90 Orvis green mountain kit that came with a Martin reel and 7-1/2' glass 6-wt. Still great tackle (caught 1000 white bass on that rod).

I recommend a 7-wt for inshore fly fishing.
The Cabelas CGR 7/8 glass rod would be a nice tool for learning how to cast and fish - you feel the rod load better than with a longer stiff graphite rod, and the whole casting process is slowed down a bit.
It would be a good redfish/spec rod, and a good bass rod.
A couple of other forums to meet inshore (and all water) fly fishers:
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=20
http://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/

here's a recent report on the CGR and redfish
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=248090

Cabelas offers the CGR in a combo for $130, and has the 7/8 stock
https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-CGR-WIND-RIVER-COMBO/2665565.uts
Along the way, you might pick up a spare spool and a better fly line, like a 7-wt. Rio Redfish line, or maybe an intermediate sinking line (slime line) for blind-fishing tide passes.

If you really like this sport, you may eventually get around to taking 100-y-o 3-wt to the mountains, or even pick up an old Fisher bluewater rod.

Here's a Fisher 8-wt I use for quick casts to fish sign in skinny water.
Second cast of the morning in the back of Allyn's Lake. The first cast was a bigger spec that tore the hook out on her second run.

We shuttled kayaks across the big bay in the power boat.

We left my dad drift-fishing St. Joe shore - he never gets out of the boat.
Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, thanks for replying, man! I appreciate the pics which made me believe I am on the right track... I realize that practice matters a lot, so I am not expecting results like yours right away....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: