Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Deputydawg's Boar is Awesome!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Deputydawg's Boar is Awesome! Reply with quote

Doug notified me that he might have a hog for me when he made a trip down from Victoria earlier this winter. Sure enough he trapped a 130lb class boar and he said it was clean, fatty and no smell. I said sure. Well I processed a the front and one ham into ground beast and cut up some of the other choice bits into back strap roasts and tenderloin roasts.
I made one at a party and it was fabulous though I didn't get pics. So a couple of weeks ago I sous vide( processed in hot water in vacuum sealed bag to tenderize) a 2lb roast and the tenderloins for 6 hrs at 140. Then flash cooled them and then put them in Jack Daniels Smoky Mesquite Marinade for three hours. Then I just had to put some sear marks on them and warm them trough on the grill since 6hrs at 140 degrees will kill all the bad stuff that we used to think you'd get from eating pink pork. Smile They turned out perfect. My sister who hadn't had feral hog before loved it.

Then for Memorial Day I thawed out one rack of ribs from this same boar.
This time I braised it in Apple Juice and some onions covered at 300 degrees. For about 3hrs.
Pre oven shot below

Then I took the rack out and removed the juice and onion bits to a pot to reduce. I added some cherry chili reduction we made for a pork belly recipe we did earlier, some Worcestershire, chili flakes, a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar, a teaspoon of dry mustard, at tablespoon of brown sugar, a tablespoon of liquid smoke and the juice of a large navel orange. I then ladled that over the now done ribs and given the heat index decided to brown them under the broiler instead of grilling them outside to get a char on them. Wow!

Thanks again, Doug and congratulations on your and Julie's recent retirement!
deputydawg
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great and im glad yall liked it. There will be plenty more this fall when your ready.

Thanks i think retirement is going to be a blast. Just taking some adjustments not going to the job.
kweber
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roasted a split shoat on my brick pit during a dove shoot
sometime back...
about shooting time after roasting we wrapped in foil and shoveled a few mesquite more coals.
had a clay pot of pinto beans and shrimp cole-slaw
no bissin' that feed. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Bbqing, Grilling, Frying, Recipes, and All Things Tasty All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: