Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fly Fishing The Green Lights?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FishinDuck

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Fly Fishing The Green Lights? Reply with quote

Hello Everyone

I am new to this community. My parents moved to Aransas Pass/Rockport area a few years ago and live on a sweet canal. We have fished their lights with plastics and live bait and done pretty well at times.

However, I have been a trout fly fisher and tier for over 20 years. I haven't done ANY salt fly fishing. Really wanting to change that. I have tossed a few chart. and white clousers screwing around a few times but quickly went back to what was working after no bites...and they were biting plastics lol.

Hoping to pick some folks brains and get some ideas. Anybody have luck fly fishing the green lights? Oh...from what I can tell, most nights the light holds mainly pinfish. I keep hearing people talk about shad and glass minnows...but haven't really seen those very often in their lights.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and help.

Fish ON
SurfRunner
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly fishing is more productive under the lights in my opinion. Use small flies like clousers or tiny shrimp patterns.
JoeT
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anything tied on a #4 or 6 hook will work. white has always worked for me whether it be deer hair or craft fur. use different dumbell eyes to no weight. try making long cast and working your fly thru the light rather than making short cast and keeping the fly in the light. goodluck
bulldog1935
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a slime line (neutral density sinking line) to fly fish under the lights, and count down depth.
Best flies are tiny whistlers, size 6 or 8 1x hook, bead chain eyes, short marabou tail (white works), and shrimpy-colored chenille body wrap.
When all else fails, after counting down depth, go to "Chernobyl" strips - put the rod inside your arm pit and strip with both hands continuously.

Have caught both big trout and big flounder this way, and more than a few rat reds.
RPool
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long casts then slow strips through the periphery of the light has worked best for me. Agree, small flies and, like JoeT, white.
lagunaflyoutfitters
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

try small panfish poppers. lots fun. agree with rpool as well
sophiagrace77
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is your time for Fly Fishing & Im interested to be your partnet for Fly Fishing because I'm looking someone who can help me for Fly Fishing.

So if you don't mind so we can be together for Fly Fishing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: