Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pins Survival Kit and Driving Tips
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bighead
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snuck off to the beach to go fish wednesday...beautiful water, tons of baitfish, easy driving, until I got to the 25 mile marker, and it got tough...anyway, i was toodling along and slowed down to take a look at an area of water called a 'pinch' to see what was happening, and my truck bogged...hit the gas, and BOOM, I am freaking BURRIED up to the very bottom of my truck.

No problem, I carry the necessary tools to unstick myself, so I get my board, my jack, and my shovel and I clear off the rear two tires, clear off an area under my receiver hitch, jack up the back of the truck, and look for my 2X12's I carry with me...not there.

If you haven't figured out by now, I get a little excited about going to do fun stuff, and as my wife says, "You turn into Jo Jo the idiot circus clown running around like you're head's on fire...and you FORGET STUFF".

I put my shoes on, grabbed my hammer and tire tool, and head off down the beach looking for some boards that may have washed up....about a mile down, I find an old piece of wharf that washed up, so I kicked it to scare off any rattle snakes, and went to work on getting my two boards. 45 minutes later, I got my two boards, and pulled all the nails out (I put them in my pocket so some other fishermen wouldn't run over them)...and commenced walking back to my truck, for a mile, carrying 2 pieces of 2X12 about 6 feet long, that had been soaking in saltwater for who knows how long.

THAT SUCKED.

So I put the boards under my tires, lower the jack, hop in the truck, and I can't get out.

2 hours later, I get the FRONT wheels and dig out underneath my truck.

To put it in perspective for you, imagine digging a hole, in sand/shell, on your hands a knees about the length and width of a 2008 Ford F150 Super Crew, that's about 2 feet deep.

I got it done, threw everything in my truck, and fired up, hit the gas, and popped right out, and I didn't stop, I just whipped a u turn, and got on solid ground.

I started to fish, and realized I was so freaking tired I didn't even WANT to fish.

This is the first time I've ever gotten stuck, I've always managed to avoid it, but the odds caught up to me today. I'm just glad I wasn't stuck out there until my wife got off of work, and realized I had not yet come home...she'd have killed me if she had to come get me.

My wife and I have a rule about when I go to PINS by myself...I give her a 'flight plan' of WHERE I plan to fish, and if she does not hear from me by a time that we agree to...she is to get in HER 4WD truck and come get me.

LESSONS learned...remain calm and make a checklist before you leave the house...don't panic...and learn not to push your luck.

Bighead
Tyler
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Glad it worked out Very Happy
Bighead
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyler wrote:
Nice! Glad it worked out Very Happy

Thanks T...part of the reason I posted it, is I sort of figured that getting stuck is an inevitability for anyone, no matter how experienced, and I wanted the readers and lurkers to KNOW that this thread contained some GREAT and VALUABLE information that bailed my a$$ out of a sling.

Bighead
FIDO
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bighead wrote:
This is the first time I've ever gotten stuck, I've always managed to avoid it, but the odds caught up to me today. I'm just glad I wasn't stuck out there until my wife got off of work, and realized I had not yet come home...she'd have killed me if she had to come get me.Bighead

Yea I got stuck in the sand this year too. OH wait that's cause my radiator blew up. Who ever thought plastic parts on a radiator was a good idea is a punk. Anyway, it happens to the best of us at least this way you can tell your wife you owe yourself a trip to PINS Very Happy
BayFly
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm one who has never been stuck on the beach, but I should also add my experience of driving on the beach is not on south Pins. I've wondered for some time if one had a bumper mounted winch on a 4X4 and used a large anchor placed out front of their stuck vehicle if it would pull them out of your typical beach sticking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> FAQ, Rules, Privacy and How To's All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: