Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Johnson/Evinrude mechanic in Rockport/AP?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
barronj

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Good Johnson/Evinrude mechanic in Rockport/AP? Reply with quote

I have a 1990 Johnson 120 V4 that has a fuel delivery issue. It won't much start without throttle and if I'm cruising (which it does fine) but then I throttle back to an idle, it will often die. This is especially maddening when I'm trying to dock up or get it back on the trailer. Anytime the rpms fall below 1500, it's going to die.

I was talking to a boat mechanic friend (we're both in Austin, boat is in Rockport) he suggested that the fuel pump diaphragm might have cracked (vacuum operated fuel pumps, he says). When I pump up the bulb before a cold start, it gets full but never hard and doesn't get/stay hard. It feels like I can always continue to push gas, and that (to me) says I'm pushing it past the needle/seat on the carb b/c of a stuck open float or trash in the needle/seat (this is my wakeboard boat background speaking here, I've dealt with both of these issues when rebuilding carbs on my mastercraft pro-star), or in the case of a vacuum operated fuel pump, when I'm pumping up the bulb, it's pushing gas through a crack in the diaphragm.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions of where to take it to, and PM me for where to avoid.

Tight lines...
jbonorden
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: mechanic Reply with quote

John Chandler, Chandler's mobile outboard. He's my go to guy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> General Saltwater Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: