Corpusfishing.com Forum Index Corpusfishing.com
Fishing Reports and information for the Coastal Bend

HOME | SITE INDEX | WEATHER | LINKS | TIDES | BUY FISHING BOOKS | BOB HALL CAM | SFCCI| GUIDES                             
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommendations for Key West, Florida?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jetty Bandit
Member White Shrimper Boot Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Recommendations for Key West, Florida? Reply with quote

Anyone know good, reputable guides in the Key West area? Going on vacation there in June and want to spend a day or two fly fishing the flats. Thanks!!!

PS also looking for people to cast with or maybe tag a long with on a trip here in town, I'm a beginner but I am totally addicted! Will pay for gas/beer/tobacco
team_fishbones_jones
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in Florida but didn't fly fish at the time. I'm sure someone will chime in but there's a lot of wade in places for snook,reds,tarpon,snapper. Clousers,ep baitfish,toads,shrimp patterns should do well. I try to get down to corpus once a month or so. Mostly surf/jetty fly but do yak the back bays here and there. I'll let you know next time I'm down, maybe we can meet up for some fly flingin. Ps i envy your upcoming trip lol
Jetty Bandit

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

team_fishbones_jones wrote:
I used to live in Florida but didn't fly fish at the time. I'm sure someone will chime in but there's a lot of wade in places for snook,reds,tarpon,snapper. Clousers,ep baitfish,toads,shrimp patterns should do well. I try to get down to corpus once a month or so. Mostly surf/jetty fly but do yak the back bays here and there. I'll let you know next time I'm down, maybe we can meet up for some fly flingin. Ps i envy your upcoming trip lol

Thanks man. Shoot me a PM with your # and lets do a trip sometime this summer!!!
jeff89
Horse Mullet

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once these winds die down to a regular speed, I'll be heading down PINS and then cut through and fish Yarborough flats.
Mad Dog
Full Grown Flour Bluffian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are driving, stop off in Islamorada at the World Wide Sportsman. They should be able to give you some referrals. Be careful not to blow you fishing budget on all the tempting gear they carry. Very Happy

I have not used any of these but here is a link for you. http://web.keywestchamber.org/Fishing-Guides,-Charters-Parties

The fishing I did was off of Marathon. Some of my friends frequent Cudjoe Key where they say the fishing is less pressured and the people are less wierd.

MD Wink

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w150/cstockton/Aquasport/
noskunk
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent a week in cudjoe key earlier this month. Fished tarpon, sails, mahi. I enjoyed fishing with capt Andrew Tipler of last cast charters. I definitely would recommend him. If you've never had the chance to fish tarpon at Bahia Honda bridge I would recommend it. You might love or hate it but you'll remember it.

Enjoy the key west nightlife. Duval st is a blast. Kind of like a cross between bourbon st and 6th st.

Feed the tarpon at Robbie's in islamorada and check out world wide sportsman.

Let me know if you want more info/details.
Jetty Bandit

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noskunk wrote:
Spent a week in cudjoe key earlier this month. Fished tarpon, sails, mahi. I enjoyed fishing with capt Andrew Tipler of last cast charters. I definitely would recommend him. If you've never had the chance to fish tarpon at Bahia Honda bridge I would recommend it. You might love or hate it but you'll remember it.

Enjoy the key west nightlife. Duval st is a blast. Kind of like a cross between bourbon st and 6th st.

Feed the tarpon at Robbie's in islamorada and check out world wide sportsman.

Let me know if you want more info/details.

I would love more info if you don't mind. Haven't been on a legit vacation in years and I want to make the most out of it!!!
noskunk
Finger Mullet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect a slower pace. Almost island time but not quite. Not many stores outside of the Key West area. Lots of slow driving up and down the Keys. Things are expensive. People are nice. Older folks outside of Key West. Not much going on past dinner time. Plenty of late night fun on Duval Street in Key West. Open container law not enforced if you are behaving well.

Watch out for idiots of cruise ships who rent mopeds for the first time. Good way to dent a rental car. Renting a car away from the airport (there is a shuttle that will take you 2 miles) can save you $100 a week.

Good captains book quickly and far out in advance. Make sure when you book you get the captain you booked with. Fish early and late if you can. It gets HOT midday. Sun felt more powerful there than in Texas. Don't get burnt and ruin your trip.

Fishing is good and very diverse. Wind direction is key as well as moon phase/tides. Tell the captain what you want to do but listen to him if he says that there is a better option based on conditions X, Y, Z. The captains there are jacks of all trades and have multiple boats to fish the different conditions.

Bridge fishing by yourself in the evening can be fun. Lots of channel bridges to fish outside of Key West. Kemp Channel was one of my favorites. Tarpon and BIG cuda there. Big black hogy softbait worked well for me. Don't expect to land anything big from a bridge even if you try to work the fish to the side. 3 day fishing license was $18.

Bahia Honda Bridge State Park is pretty cool. Great deal for $8 a car. One of the few places to wade fish on your own if you like doing that. Nice little beach on both sides of the key. Good place to camp if you want to do that. Remember it's HOT. They have a snorkling boat that will take you out the reef if the wind is down.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I can go into more detail if you tell me what interests you (captains, fishing on your own, nightlife, etc...).
Jetty Bandit

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noskunk wrote:
Expect a slower pace. Almost island time but not quite. Not many stores outside of the Key West area. Lots of slow driving up and down the Keys. Things are expensive. People are nice. Older folks outside of Key West. Not much going on past dinner time. Plenty of late night fun on Duval Street in Key West. Open container law not enforced if you are behaving well.

Watch out for idiots of cruise ships who rent mopeds for the first time. Good way to dent a rental car. Renting a car away from the airport (there is a shuttle that will take you 2 miles) can save you $100 a week.

Good captains book quickly and far out in advance. Make sure when you book you get the captain you booked with. Fish early and late if you can. It gets HOT midday. Sun felt more powerful there than in Texas. Don't get burnt and ruin your trip.

Fishing is good and very diverse. Wind direction is key as well as moon phase/tides. Tell the captain what you want to do but listen to him if he says that there is a better option based on conditions X, Y, Z. The captains there are jacks of all trades and have multiple boats to fish the different conditions.

Bridge fishing by yourself in the evening can be fun. Lots of channel bridges to fish outside of Key West. Kemp Channel was one of my favorites. Tarpon and BIG cuda there. Big black hogy softbait worked well for me. Don't expect to land anything big from a bridge even if you try to work the fish to the side. 3 day fishing license was $18.

Bahia Honda Bridge State Park is pretty cool. Great deal for $8 a car. One of the few places to wade fish on your own if you like doing that. Nice little beach on both sides of the key. Good place to camp if you want to do that. Remember it's HOT. They have a snorkling boat that will take you out the reef if the wind is down.

Let me know if you have specific questions. I can go into more detail if you tell me what interests you (captains, fishing on your own, nightlife, etc...).

Thank you sir! We're going to look into Bahia Honda Bridge State Park for sure! I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Corpusfishing.com Forum Index -> Fly Fishing Forum All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: